Diasposra, a relatively new social networking website several dubbed as the Facebook killer, is finally out for some select users and thanks to @Suw I too now have an account on it. The word Diaspora is derived fromthe Greek word διασπορά which means the movement, migration, or scattering of people away from an established or ancestral homeland. The reason for naming it so is quite apparent; Diaspora wants users to move back to their established or ancestral homeland i.e Diaspora from its other competitors like Facebook, Twitter et al. But, is a name good enough for its aims?
But Diapora is a social networking website with a difference. This is how Wikipedia explains it:
Diaspora works by letting users set up their own server (or “pod”) to host content; pods can then interact to share status updates, photographs, and other social data. It allows its users to host their data with a traditional web host, a cloud-based host, an ISP, or a friend. The framework, which is being built on Ruby on Rails, is free software and can be experimented with by external developers.
So, the user is in control over his/her own data.
But this post is not about what Diaspora is and I’ll dwell into that right now. I will save it for some other time in some other post. For now, just like Free Demonoid invites, I will be giving out free invitations to Diaspora Alpha to every user who abides by the following rules.
How to get an invitation to Diaspora Alpha
- Retweet the [email protected] Free Diaspora Alpha Invites [Unlimited Invites] http://t.co/7aB75K9
- Like AND share the link to this post on facebook (Make the post visible to everyone. It can be done by clicking the people’s image when posting the link)
- Like the facebook page of TheDolt’s Blog.
- Subscribe to our RSS feed by whichever method seems fit to you. Personally speaking, I would suggest the following method:
Receive TheDolt’s Blog in your mailbox for free!
- Comment on this post with the link to the facebook profile through which you posted the links and the link to your tweet.