The thirteenth major release of WordPress.org (I pay for hosting) is out now. The beta versions of WordPress 3.0 has been out for a while now but the guys at WordPress.org have now fixed all known bugs and released the final Version of WordPress 3.0 . You can upgrade to 3.0 right from you Dashboard or new users can download it from here
Some new notable features :
- 1.217 bug fixes and feature enhancements.
- New default theme Twenty Ten.
- Theme developers now have new APIs which allow them to easily implement custom backgrounds, headers, menus(no more file editing), shortlinks, post types and taxonomies.
- WordPress and WordPress MU have been merged so you can now make a community of blogs or a single blog with just one installation, no more hassles or installing the other.
- Lighter interface with contextual help on every screen.
- Ability to set the admin username and password during installation.
- Support for shortlinks.
- Allow “No role for this blog” to be chosen in Users->Add New panel (why would anyone need this?)
This three minute video explains each and every feature. [Watch in HD if you can, there are Easter eggs (I’m not sure, haven’t seen any)]
PS: I have no idea why I wrote this post when I don’t give a damn about WordPress 3.0 . I want it but can’t afford hosting (at least not now).